Thursday, November 20, 2008

wok 'n' talk

My ward's Relief Society got together and planned an Enrichment activity that included dinner, and since I wasn't [too] busy with school I thought I would go. It turned out to be pretty cool and I am glad I went.

Instead of sitting at any table we wanted (usually by the people in the ward I actually know...) we drew chopsticks with different colored tips. The color you drew determined where you sat. We were served a teriyaki bowl (yummy!) and while we sat and ate, we were supposed to get to know the other women at our table. To help conversations... they had questions at each table in a little Chinese take-out container and everyone at the table had to answer the questions.

Some questions were simple, like "Movies: Scary -or- Happy endings?"

A couple I thought were interesting to ask of your fellow sisters at church, I will share my answers with you.
  1. "Name a memory of your Mom and Dad." So I took it this means either funny, spiritual, etc. So here they are (I was under pressure and had to come up with stories fast): My DAD: When I was really young, maybe 6 or 7, my dad took me out to the local track to run a few laps (if you don't know my dad... he is passionate about running - he even coaches at my old high school). I decided I wanted to make him proud and run as far as I could. I ended up running 8 laps (2 miles) which felt like a marathon to me at that age. Of course my dad was proud. The next morning, however, I felt terribly sick and when my mom came in to check on me, she had a worried look on her face. She took my temperature and got my dad, who also looked worried. A few minutes later, a family friend, Mike Olsen, came over to join my dad in giving me a priesthood blessing. As soon as Mike and my dad left the room, I threw up all over my bed and felt 100 times better. I just remember the impression it gave me about the faith my dad had in priesthood blessings. My MOM: When I came home one day, either in high school or early college, I remember finding my mom on the computer. She was looking up items on eBay for her china collection (fancy plates and bowls..). She had me come and look at a few with her, when I heard that my dad was home. The look on my mom's face was priceless! A kid who's hand was in the cookie jar and was about to get caught!! She hurried up and closed all the windows, except her email window, and when my dad came up the stairs... things seemed a little suspicious. I have always thought that it was pretty funny.
  2. "3 words that describe yourself." Not everyone will agree with all of these, but it was a little odd coming up with words to describe yourself in front of people you barely know.
  • Quiet
  • Genuine
  • Athletic
Okay... not the best description of myself, but it was harder than I thought. Since I shared with you, post a comment (if you want) of 3 words that describe you! You will have way more time than I did, and I think it will be interesting to read what you say about yourself.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I think you described yourself quite well. Im having a hard time coming up with three words.....humm...listener, grandmother,young-at-heart??????? Its a toughy. I may have to come back and give it another try.

Powered By Blogger