This is a picture of me before the race (notice I am smiling without any pain).
I had been trying to get the hold of drafting - which reduces the effort you need to make to go the same speed - but by this time anyone my pace was WAY ahead of me.
I had been trying to get the hold of drafting - which reduces the effort you need to make to go the same speed - but by this time anyone my pace was WAY ahead of me.Here is the map of the ride:
Before this ride, the longest ride I had done was 38 miles. The total distance I had put on my road bike was almost 250 miles. So I wasn't sure I could even finish the race, but I knew I wanted to. Some of the only advice I got for the century was "get in a group." Since that was practically out of the question, I continued the ride and only drafted a total of less than 15 miles during the entire 100 miles. I basically rode the entire race by myself! I'm glad I did it, though. I surprised I am not more sore than I am.Before I decided to sign up for the full century, I talked to Terrel about whether or not he thought I could do it. He actually suggested doing only the 65 miles. During the hardest part of the race (up Highway 18 to the top of Snow Canyon State Park - miles 70-80) I would think of what Terrel said and was determined to prove him wrong! The race was a lot more mental than I was prepared for, but I did it. I finished in 8 hours, 47 minutes and 19 seconds. They stopped the support at 9 hours, so I barely made it!
Ashley has some pictures on her site as well: click here

8 comments:
mindy, that is freaking awesome. good job on finishing! you are amazing.
You are amazing mindy! I didn't know that you had a blog! So Cute! And that was me and Cody yelling for you when you were riding through Green Valley on Saturday! We saw you out by the spa too and then on the way to Cody's house! You looked great but didn't seem to recognize us,or at least me, so I thought I would let you know that you looked awesome and you did awesome! It would have been so hard, especially with everything that went wrong! :) Great Job!
Good Job, Mindy! But where's the "after" picture?
You are so tough! I can't believe you still finished with all that bad luck! You're awesome.
Way braver than me! Good job!
Good JOB MIND!!!! WAHOO
That's great Mindy, bad luck though, Next race I'm sure will be much better luck. Congrats!
Awesome, Mindy! I remember that ride too well, and it sucks to be all alone (it's the way I finished my first century ride, too)...way to go!!
Post a Comment