Thursday, April 12, 2012

Garden 2012

Our garden was planted March 3rd. I love planting the garden, but I am most excited to plant my tomatoes, which are not planted yet. I hope to do that this week!

March 3rd, right after planting
(The parsley & chives actually survived the winter.)

April 7th, after placing the trellis for the peas
(hard to see the trellis from the angle the picture was taken)
(I labeled one wrong - the 7th row is actually 3 beans, 1 radish.)

It looks like I need to figure out how to grow spinach. This is my 2nd attempt. I knew it struggled before, so that's why I planted 7 squares of it. You know, to give it better odds. I thought March 3rd was plenty early to plant... but obviously something is not happening. There ARE a few plants peeking through, but I doubt I will get anything from them. The weather is warming up now. Plus, I think I will just plant my tomatoes in a few of their spots. Maybe the seeds aren't good?

2 comments:

Erin said...

This looks awesome Mindy. You really know what you are doing, don't you? Got any tips for me? How do you like the square foot approach?

mindy said...

Um... no I don't know what I'm doing. Ha! Honestly, I think gardening is a lot of trial & error. There are the basics (good soil, enough sun, right amount of water) which are important that you can learn about easily.

I like how it's near impossible to over-water a raised bed (square foot). I think it makes growing things like beets (that love a constantly moist soil) more difficult, since the topsoil tends to dry out more quickly. I think it is excellent for beginners and people that don't think they can grow anything. It's a lot of work to set up, but it makes excellent use of space (our lot is little - .19 acres!).

Powered By Blogger