Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Water Broke....

Seriously???? I'm not due until OCTOBER.

(BIG siiiiigh... one: because I'm frustrated - it is too early for these babies to come!!! two: because I need the extra air! These babies are getting big!)

So I am 27 weeks and 5 days today. I was admitted on Sunday at 27 weeks, 2 days. Here's the "story"...

We were at church in Sacrament Meeting, and Jesse went out in the hall with Parker because he was being... a 17-month old. I read Lincoln all the books I had with me, and during the last book, the speakers were done and the closing song began. I reached down to put the books away and felt something... kinda like I briefly peed my pants. And it happened again 5 seconds later. And 5 seconds after that. I did need to go to the restroom... but normally I have control so I was a little worried. After the prayer, Jesse came back in and I told him I think my water broke and I need to check in the bathroom. Sure enough, by the time I walked down the hall, it was pretty clear that my water had indeed broken. Jesse met me outside the restroom, and I told him I was pretty sure it was my water. We walked out to the van and by the time we got to it I was sloshing in my heels (thank goodness I wore my old, worn out pair... those will need to be tossed...). Jesse informed me then that my cushioned, fabric covered chair I had been sitting on (in the overflow section, not the pews) was very wet. "Did you fold it up and put it aside???" Yikes... I am truly sorry to anyone and everyone that discovered that damp chair the same day. The thought makes me cringe. Both boys went on to nursery, while Jesse & I went home (sitting on a towel we happened to have in our trunk... don't want to get the new van messy!). Terrel & Janet came over. Terrel & Jesse gave me a blessing, and Janet packed up a few kids clothes so she could pick up the boys from church and stay with her for a night. Then Jesse gathered a few things for me and brought me to the hospital. And I've been here ever since!

Initially, I wasn't allowed food and an IV was started. I was given medications to stop contractions (that got to about every 3-4 minutes). Babies looked great and contractions stopped. IV antibiotics were started to help prevent an infection (since the amniotic sac/bag of water is the protective barrier from infection for the babies). I've been here on bed rest with "bathroom privileges" (I can take a shower and use the restroom). Currently, I'm off all IV medications & anti-contraction medications but on oral antibiotics. I have occasional contractions. Babies still look really good. We are all hoping my body will hang on til 28 weeks, and then 30 weeks, and then 32 weeks, and it would be awesome if I make it to 34 weeks (almost 2 months being on bed rest in the hospital...). Every day is precious for their development.

Some questions I'm sure you have.

How are Lincoln & Parker doing?
They want me to come home. This is definitely the hardest part about being here. I miss them terribly. They haven't been able to visit yet because they are sick. I have done (free) video chat via Gmail with them each night. I love seeing their smiles and hearing them say "Mama!" They are being tended by the Davis girls (my sister-in-law, Audrey's sisters). They love playing with Lola & Flora May, but they are excited when Jesse picks them up after he gets off work.

Are you bored??
Yes, but I manage to keep myself busy with Nursing CEUs (to prevent my nursing license from expiring in January), canceling appointments, e-mail, phone calls, hospital visits, magazines, TV (my favorite show is Chopped on the Food Network, but that's basically the only show I watch), games on the iPad (have you ever played Quarrel? It's kind of like Scrabble but more fun and against the computer...), canceling a musical number in August, books, and visiting with the nursing staff. Jesse also visits me at least once a day (which is definitely the highlight of the day :) ).

Do you have names picked out?
Nope. Unless you count a list of 10-12 that needs to be narrowed down (Jesse isn't helping... hint, hint...).

How much do the doctors estimate the babies weigh right now?
Monday I had an ultrasound with a bunch of measurements, and one baby is estimated to weigh 2' 11" and the other 2' 15". That was when I was 27 weeks, 3 days.

Can I do anything to help?
Sure. What do you have in mind? Were you thinking folding laundry or scrubbing toilets? I'm pretty sure they both need done at the house (however, you will have to get around Jesse). Can you find us a crib? We won't need it for at least a couple months, but we will need another one. I can't really think of anything... HOWEVER, after the babies are born and we bring them home, I'm sure I will be able to think of something then. :-)

Do you like the hospital food?
It's actually pretty good.

Okay, so you didn't really have that last question. I thought I'd humor you a bit anyway.

So we are all doing well (for the most part) and everything is going smoothly at this point. It's not a fabulous way to spend your last days/weeks/months pregnant, but every day is worth it to further the babies' development. I miss all my boys very much. Hopefully they are well enough to come visit me tomorrow! I hope you enjoyed/endured my update. It's nice to talk/chat/vent via blog. I will/might keep you updated. Haha.

2 comments:

Emily Jones said...

Oh man, what a crazy adventure you've found yourself in. I'm sorry you're stuck in the hospital instead of at home with your sweet boys. But thank Heavens for modern medicine. I'll be praying for you and look forward to your updates.

P.S. You should watch Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. It's pretty entertainging.

Clint and Alisha said...

Oh boy... or should I say boys!! :) What a difficult situation but so much better to wait for them to incubate a bit more in Momma's womb!! Maybe you should start writing a book, you're creative and I am sure I'd pay to read it! ;) We will keep you all in our prayers! I just can't imagine carrying twins!! You rock! Sending my love!

Powered By Blogger