Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Wastewater Treatment Plant




For "water week" we visited this stinky - but fascinating - place. It was really interesting to learn about how little they actually treat the water. Filter by gravity mostly, and then UV lights is all. 

These railings were (GASP!) not child-proof! I had some serious anxiety here. This quick-moving water was so silt-dense that even a good swimming adult couldn't stay afloat longer than 1-2 minutes. AND... it is 17 feet deep.

Another interesting fact... seeds are in the water from all types of plants. They empty these corridors (wrong word..) to clean all the sludge at the bottom every so often.. and after it's dried up, it's basically human manure/fertilizer/compost that is very fertile and grows all the seeds. I didn't take a picture of the plants (remember... I was on high alert to avoid having my kids fall through those railings!) but there were squash and watermelon and even weed. Ha!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger