Thursday, July 16, 2009

Baby Bird Has Arrived!

Baby Boy Bird came July 15th at 7:09PM and weighed 5 lbs 9 oz and is 19 inches long. We are so happy to have him finally here and doing well!!! He had a little trouble breathing right after he was born - and needed a little help getting started, but by about 1AM he was breathing only room air without any help. He's a lot bigger than we all thought he would be, which is great!

Night before the induction... a little nervous...

In the delivery room...

Dr. Chalmers (I recommend him to anyone & everyone)

First moments after delivery

Jesse with the baby in the NICU

Close-up

And I caught a little smile on camera accidentally :)

I was induced at 7:15AM, and labor "kicked in" about 9AM. I was trying to deliver naturally, but being induced made it much harder. I ended up getting an epidural at about 2pM. I could still feel a lot (still a little painful, but much more tolerable) and I could still move my legs and bend my knees, which was perfect. After another 4 1/2 hours of labor and 15-20 minutes of pushing, Baby was born!!

No decided name yet... We're still working on it... but Baby will probably be in the NICU for at least another week, maybe up to 2-4 more weeks - until he can figure out how to eat. At first he was just "fed" sugar water through his IV, but now the feedings are done through an NG tube and he only has a little more antibiotics left (hopefully).

We love our little boy - he is such a blessing in our lives and we are so happy everything has turned out so well so far. Hopefully he can come home sooner than later!

12 comments:

Outlet for my Thoughts said...

Congrats! i am so glad that everything went well. HE looks beautiful.

Andrew | Susan | Grayer said...

Yeah!! He is SO adorable!! I am so glad things went well, good job Mindy!! I too hope that he can come home sooner than later! Congratulations Mindy and Jesse!! Love you tons!!

Lindsay said...

I can't wait to see him! I am so happy he is as big as he is! Yay so cute.

Cole Webley said...

YAY! I'm so glad he's doing well! He's SO cute and so much bigger than I expected him to be! He's only half a pound bigger than my full term babies! Congratulations and we'll keep you in our prayers! Love you! -Jen

Emily Jones said...

Yay! Congratulations! We have been thinking about you and praying for you and hoping everything would go ok. I can't believe how big and healthy little baby Bird looks. Now all he needs is a name! Keep updating. Love ya!

Sandy/Gram said...

Congratulations! Wow, that was pretty scary having him so early. You did a good job and now he is finally here for you to love and enjoy. Can't wait to meet him. Get some rest, you will need it when he comes home. See you at the shower!

Angela said...

He's super cute! Ohhhhhhhhh... my little sweetheart nephew. We wonder how big he'd have been had he stayed in your tummy another 6 weeks - yikes! Congrats, guys!

Bekah and Lance said...

Congrats! Glad to hear he's doing so well. Hopefully he'll soon take off with his eating! I know sometimes that can be the longest and most frustrating part!

jackie e said...

baby boy! i love my little nephew so much and i'm so glad that eventhough he was early he is big and strong. wish we could be there to see the little guy and to help in any way. get some rest.

Fausett Family said...

Yay! Congrats!How exciting for you and your cute new family! :)

beck said...

congratulations! he looks amazing! and it's a good thing he is big! Good luck in the coming weeks!

Peg and Her Story said...

we are so happy for you, have been praying for you and little Lincoln. He looks perfect, (can I say just like Jesse!!?) and you and Jesse both look well. I know it's hard to leave your little one in the NICU, we are thinking of you!!

Powered By Blogger