(Apr. 26, 2013)
I can't remember where I learned this, but when children are acting up and being little stinkers, it usually means one of their needs is not being met. That need is usually the need to feel loved and be heard (as long as they are not hungry or tired, that is!). When Lincoln (it's usually him...) is being a stinker, and I am somehow able to remember this and stay calm, I will stop what I'm doing and ask Lincoln to come talk to me. I usually give him a hug, tell him I love him, sit him on my lap, and ask him what is wrong or if there is anything he wants to tell me. Almost immediately he will calm down, tell me something that happened (which he's probably been trying to tell me for the last 45 minutes), and give me a hug back. Then he goes back to play and is so much happier and no longer a stinker. Don't fight fire with fire, right?
Lincoln and Parker had been acting up and being little stinkers the last couple days, so I knew they needed a little extra time and attention with Mom & Dad. I also had a burst of energy over this weekend and planned to take Lincoln and
Parker on some adventures. We got a babysitter for the babies, so that
way we could focus on the big boys (and join in the fun... and
relax...).
Friday evening, we met up with Nathan & Audrey and their kids, Flora, Lola, & Ezra downtown at the
carousel. We finally synced up with when the carousel was
actually open! (Sorry, again, Rachel!) It's a fancy carousel that is semi-new to the area. All the kids were pretty excited to ride the "horseys"... all except Parker. We rode once, changed horses, and rode again. The first time we had the whole carousel all to ourselves.
 |
| Parker & Daddy (I could not get a good picture of him since he was almost crying the whole time!) |
 |
| Flora riding with me, Audrey & Lola on the right in the back |
 |
| Parker with Daddy again |
 |
| Lola |
 |
| Audrey & Lola, Lincoln |
 |
| Nathan & Ezra |
 |
| Parker (finally happy after he was off that thing!) & Lola |
 |
| Jesse with Flora. She was very upset that we had to get off and kept saying "Horsey! Horsey!" |
The splash pad and lazy river are less than 100 yards away. I was a little silly not to bring their swimsuits. But at least we had some pajamas for them to change into afterward.
I have a little anxiety when I bring my kids into crowded, busy places. I worry I will lose track of them and they will be 2 blocks away by the time I find them. Is that a normal mom-feeling? Anyway... when I can plan ahead a little, I try to put my kids in bright colored clothes when we will be going to places like this. It makes it even easier if they are similar colors. Like green, for example:
 |
| Easy to spot, right? |
 |
| Parker was much happier with this activity! |
They had so much fun! Plus, I love to wear them out. They tend to sleep better.
long night's rest = well rested kids = good break for mom (& dad) = happy mom
No comments:
Post a Comment