Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Water Broke! Welcome, Charity Eve!

(Apr. 18, 2014)

I really wanted this baby to come this week, so I was busy wearing myself out in the yard and in the gym. I managed to finally get something going on Friday morning... my water broke! (3 weeks, 1 day early)

Last picture of the belly
I was in my workout clothes, getting the kids breakfast and ready to go. After everyone was finished with breakfast, I was gathering socks and shoes for everybody so we could head out the door. On my way around the house... I thought maybe my water broke... hmmm... (about 10 am) I sent Jesse a text letting him know I might need to go to the hospital, but wasn't sure yet. I finished packing my hospital bags, which were basically packed, then I needed to change my pants, again. Yep, it was my water. I called Jesse, who hadn't gotten the text yet, and he let me know he was on his way home. I started getting some things packed for the kids, and realized I needed to change my pad because it was already full... again, when the doorbell rang. Audrey and her sister were there to pick up my kids. They are so awesome!!! They helped me finish getting things packed for the kids and Jesse got home.

I took a shower (remember... I was on my way to the gym?) and then realized I hadn't eaten breakfast yet and I was starving. There was NO way I was laboring without any food since dinner the night before. We went to lunch (11:45 am) and then to the hospital (12:15). The admitting nurse gave me the dirtiest look when I told her I just came from lunch (I should know better... but seriously - you don't want to spend time with me when I am pregnant and starving - just ask Jesse). That meant surgery would have to be delayed for 8 hours.

I was dilated to 4+cm. They started me on antibiotics (group B strep positive) and then on pitocin since contractions were few and far between. We would give a regular birth a try, but at about 8pm there needed to be progress or they would just do the C-section. Nothing was happening still so Jesse stepped out to get a drink. Of course that's when I started feeling everything... strong contractions, anxiety about pain and possibility of rupturing my uterus (1 in 200 chance with a VBAC - vaginal birth after cesarean), so I asked for an epidural. Jesse came back and I was almost in tears. Don't leave your laboring wife! They placed an epidural by about 5 pm when I was dilated to 4+cm (still? no progress???).

They checked me about 7 pm and I was dilated to 9+cm - whoa! The epidural must have helped me relax and let my body work how it was meant to. Rest and descend till almost 8 pm... then the pushing began. The moment of truth - would she fit? Would I need an emergency C-section? I had prepared myself mentally for a C-section, since my doctor told me it was likely a month or so ago (95% likely...). After pushing through a few contractions, I was able to reach down and feel her crowning - RELIEF! The next push and she was born!

8:08 pm
6 lbs 8 oz
19 1/2 inches long
Charity Eve





Extra proud Daddy!

1 comment:

Rachel & Darrin said...

The kids and I were looking through your pictures and seeing the picture in this post of you holding Charity made my eyes water up! It is so beautiful and so tender. I love it.

Powered By Blogger